So you are wondering… this is quite a detour from the old school jams I usually list. That is just me, I’m eclectic, get used to that!
Why am I putting this particular playlist in cyberspace? I am one week into NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) and I had already fallen behind. I was finishing WIP’s and I just needed something to get me going. What, no Eminem you say? This particular playlist was meant to mellow me out, not plot world domination, and to be honest, listening to Eminem’s music makes me want to take over the world or at least sing about taking over the world…
Anyway, music is a gateway to feelings. Music is a way to tap into those emotions that don’t come out otherwise. Sometimes you just have to slip in a zone and music is the only way you can get there. Sometimes you can take their angst, their anger, their fear, and let it flow into a story… Music is, in my opinion, just an audiobook set to a beat.
Without further ado… here it is, my choices for hip-hop with a touch of soul.
1) Sooner Than Later by Drake on : http://tinysong.com/jjUz
Drake is a new comer who is really growing on me!
2) Sweet Memories (Original) by Mary J. Blige on : http://tinysong.com/jQin
She is the original queen of hip-hop soul.
3) Dreams ft. Brandon Hines by J. Cole on : http://tinysong.com/glHt
J.Cole, again, another newcomer that has studied the art of the game.
4) Ghetto Rich (Remix) (ft. John Legend, Lil Wayne & Nas) by Rich Boy on : http://tinysong.com/f9ju
Just listen to the way John Legend sings and then listen to the verses… this should be a classic.
5) Smile (feat. 2Pac and Johnny P) by Scarface on : http://tinysong.com/zcZJ
Oh come on, this is Scarface and Tupac, need I say more?
6) Shook Ones Pt.2 by Mobb Deep on : http://tinysong.com/juiv
Mobb Deep had cold flows under the guise of mellow beats. Wonder why Havoc is producing such hard music now???
7) It Was All A Dream by The Notorious Big on : http://tinysong.com/fYrf
This song is a classic..
8) Hip-Hop Saved My Life (ft. Nikki Jean) by Lupe Fiasco on : http://tinysong.com/vflq
Lupe! love this dude’s mellow flow with a conscious attitude.
9) Paper Planes by M.I.A. on : http://tinysong.com/t4FO
Um…don’t know what to say about this one except I just like the song.
10) Yesterday by Atmosphere on : http://tinysong.com/1H9V
This is some homegrown talent and the dude’s flow is just a nice ride, no matter what he is talkign about.
11) Desire (feat. Showtyme) by Pharoahe Monch on : http://tinysong.com/7XNw
One of the most underrated MC’s….
12) You Got Me (feat. Erykah Badu) by The Roots on : http://tinysong.com/6VAH
The song is just classic and Eve’s verse is on point.
13) Ms Fat Booty by Mos Def on : http://tinysong.com/6XYD
Can you actually have a playlist on hip-hop with some soul without Mos Def on the list?
14) This Way (featuring Kanye West) by Dilated Peoples on : http://tinysong.com/icK4
The song is definitely one of those self-examination songs…
15) Misunderstood by Common on : http://tinysong.com/nXX9
Deep lyrics, great hook…